Editor's Note: Once again, we have an article based on the controversial subject of homosexuality. I am very glad to see you challenge yourselves as writers and not shy away from topics that are sensitive. However, with that said, I encourage you to discuss this topic thoroughly with your parents, and as always to remain respectful with your opinions in the BBS.
Hello, qt4ever90 here to discuss a very touchy subject: homophobia.
If you are too young and do not have any idea on what homophobia is, you should speak with your parents before reading this article.
What is homophobia, you may be wondering? Well that's what I'm here to tell
you. I'm going to explain to you what homophobia is, and some reasons why people may be homophobic.
The definition of homophobia (from www.wikipedia.com):
Homophobia - fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.
There are many reasons why people become homophobic.
Here are just a few:
1) Monkey See, Monkey Do: If someone's parents are homophobic, their kids will most likely be too because they'll get used to their parents talking about it, and eventually it will seem like "the right thing to do."
2) Narrow mindedness: Older people and some senior citizens are homophobic plainly because when they were growing up, homosexuality was frowned upon.
3) Incompetence: Someone might not know what homosexuality is, and might just think it's a bad thing; they might not understand that it's not necessarily a bad thing.
4) Religion: Some religions don't accept homosexuals, plainly because their God believes that a man and a woman should only to be together.
5) Children: Kids just think it's cool to make fun of homosexuals simply because they're different, so that's why they do it.
"Oh my gosh, that is SO gay!"
Have you ever heard anyone say that before?
Isn't it a bit strange how something can be "gay" or "homosexual"? It can't be. Some people don't understand the word "gay".
Things can't be gay; they're inanimate. Everything is wrong with calling something "gay".
Using the word gay to call something "stupid," or "ugly" is plain wrong. It's being used as a derogatory statement against gay people.
This is qt4ever90, trying to inform the cyber-world of these touchy subjects.